Sunday, December 8, 2013

What is everyone up to this weekend?

This weekend I am taking the chance to do some cooking. I have a few recipes to try and I thought  I would make a day of it.

 As we are not big Christmas cake or pudding fans. I am trying my hand at making a brioche with sultanas and a little mixed peel. (A little bit like the Italian cake) Something light and fruity.  Let say we are having a trial run as I am adjusting a recipe to achieve this cake.
It is really tasty with a little butter but I think it needs a little more fruit.



Next is the halloumi cheese experiment. I brought myself a cheese making kit a while ago and I have had a go at ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese and quark cheese so far.  This is the hardest cheese so far, I am working my way through the book. It turns out it is easier then I thought it was going to be. It isn't the prettiest looking block of cheese but at least it worked.


With the left over whey from the cheese I couldn't resist making a loaf of soda bread I substitute the whey for the buttermilk in the recipe. It works a treat.The rest of the whey gets diluted and go out to the garden to give the strawberries a feed. Don't like to see it go down the drain if I can use it elsewhere. Yummy it only take 5 minutes to mix and 30 minutes in the oven and you have fresh bread.


Finally I am making gingerbread biscuits as Christmas treats. I have stars, trees and gingerbread man cutters. So I am giving them a go as something different. We had one each just to test them. I am looking forward to decorating them.


Until next time
Cynthia

No comments: