Saturday, April 25, 2015

Idaho Square Dance Block

I found this block in Quiltmaker magazine May/June issue in Bonnie Hunter's Addicted to Scraps article and it uses lots of 1 1/2 inch fabric scraps. Now I have been using lots of my larger scraps leaving me lot of scraps under 2 inch in size. So after reading the Addicted to Scraps article I thought I would look at what there was in that size in the scrap box. I started with my little cutting table scrap box which was full and needed to be sorted and this is what I ended up with. It's a good start.
 I started the cutting process to see what I got out of this lot before I attack the main scrap box which has more pieces that are larger. So far I am halfway through the 2 piles. Some just didn't quite make it as they were a fraction smaller than 1 1/2 inches so they were returned to the scrap box for another time and some went into the bin as they were way too small. Why did I keep some pieces that were barely 1/2 inch square in size (one piece was barely a 1/4 ' wide, so what that it was 4' long. What was I thinking!) The good thing the cutting table bin is now only half full.
I stopped cutting so I could sew a test block. Any excuse to sew, hey. Here it is and it measures the 7 inches stated in the Bonnie's column so I am happy. I don't know how many blocks I will make. We will see where I end up.

 I think I will use the little four patches as Leaders and Enders to build them up and my centre squares are all going to be this hexagon print which is my favourite at the moment.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: