Monday, September 7, 2015

To put a border on or not?



I have been working on one of the Fully Stacked projects and I was very pleased with myself as it only took an afternoon to piece the blocks and sew them all together. Top is completed and I can prepare it for quilting. That is what I thought anyway. The next day I was looking at it and thinking -does it need a border? What! I thought it was finished and now I am thinking it need a border or two. An easy enough task the first border will feature the red from the blocks and it will probably be the binding too.

 The second border had to be the red and grey snowflake fabric. All sorted! I just had to cut and sew them on then and it will be finished. The red border went on with no problems but the second border wasn't gelling as it technically was a directionally print though at first glance you may not noticed and if I just cut the strips the design would be all over the place and it wouldn't flow nicely around the quilt.
Two options presented themselves- change the fabric but the other options were all directionally too or I could fussy cut my original choice. I went with the second option as it was my preferred fabric. A little fussy cutting allowed me to run a row of snowflakes around the quilt.

I wish I could share more pictures on this quilt but you will see it soon enough as part of the Cynthia's Ark Fully Stacked weekend 3rd-5th October where I have lots of fun planned in store and online. Stay tuned for more details.
Until Next Time
Keeping Stitching
Cynthia

No comments: